NODAL POWER HIGHLIGHTS
- Nodal achieved record half year power volume for the first half of 2022 with 1.489 billion MWh traded, up 39% from H1 2021.
NODAL ENVIRONMENTAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Nodal half year environmental volume was up 28% from 2021 with 136,435 lots traded.
Nodal Exchange achieves new records in power and environmental futures
On July 7th, Nodal Exchange announced new trading records in power and environmental futures as of end of June 2022. Nodal achieved record half year power volume for the first half of 2022 with 1.489 billion MWh traded, up 39% from H1 2021. Nodal also set a new calendar month record for June with 175.3 million MWh of traded power futures volume in the month. The majority of U.S. power futures open interest is on Nodal Exchange with 1.183 billion MWh representing $154 billion of notional value based on both sides as of the end of June 2022.
Nodal also posted strong growth in volumes and open interest in the environmental market suite of products in June. Total June volume for Nodal environmental products was 20,669 lots, up 26% from 16,376 lots a year earlier. Total volume in Q2 2022 was 72,205 lots, up 49% from 48,578 lots in Q2 2021. And in H1 2022, volume totaled 136,435 lots, up 28% from 106,643 lots for the same period a year earlier. Nodal environmental open interest at the end of June 2022 was 203,669 contracts, up 53% from 133,271 a year earlier.
Some key environmental sectors showed notable open interest gains in June, including:
- PJM-based REC contracts ended June at 114,784 lots of open interest, up 29% from 88,807 lots a year earlier
- RGGI futures ended June at 24,532 lots of open interest, up 480% from 4,227 lots a year earlier
- June open interest in Texas CRS wind and solar RECs matched May’s record of 34,757 contracts, representing 34.7 million MWh of wind and solar power or enough clean electricity to power 3.1 million homes for a year
Nodal in the news
Nodal Exchange is a derivatives exchange providing price, credit and liquidity risk management solutions to participants in the North American commodities markets. Nodal Exchange is a leader in innovation, having introduced the world's largest set of electric power locational (nodal) futures contracts. As part of EEX Group, a group of companies serving international commodity markets, Nodal Exchange currently offers over 1,000 contracts on hundreds of unique locations, providing the most effective basis risk management available to market participants. In addition, Nodal Exchange offers natural gas and environmental contracts. All Nodal Exchange contracts are cleared by Nodal Clear which is a CFTC registered derivatives clearing organization. Nodal Exchange is a designated contract market regulated by the CFTC.