- Nodal achieves record calendar month for May with traded power futures volume of 220 million MWh, up 83% from 120 million MWh in May 2021.
- Nodal Exchange also set a May record in natural gas with traded futures volume of 138 million MMBtu, up from 4 million in May 2021.
- Nodal also traded a record total of 35,787 lots of environmental contracts in May, up 230% from 10,843 a year earlier.
- Nodal Exchange and IncubEx announced on June 7th the planned launch of new environmental products including several first-of-their-kind futures contracts in renewable energy credits, renewable natural gas certificates (renewable thermal certificates) and voluntary carbon offsets.
- Governor Glenn Youngkin announced that Nodal Exchange will increase capacity at its headquarters located at 1921 Gallows Road in Tysons.
Nodal Exchange achieves May records in power (83% growth), natural gas (35x growth) and environmental futures (230% growth)
Nodal Exchange announced on June 2nd, new calendar month records for May in power, natural gas and environmental futures. In power, Nodal set a calendar month record for May with traded power futures volume of 220 million MWh, up 83% from 120 million MWh in May 2021. The majority of U.S. power futures open interest is on Nodal Exchange with 1.210 billion MWh representing $180 Billion of notional value based on both sides as of the end of May 2022.
Nodal Exchange also set a May record in natural gas with traded futures volume of 138 million MMBtu, up from 4 million in May 2021.
Nodal further posted new record volumes and open interest in the environmental market suite of products in May.
A total of 35,787 lots of environmental contracts traded in May, up 230% from 10,843 a year earlier. Open interest at the end of May for the product group was 197,504 lots, up 48% from 133,060 for the same time a year earlier.
Nodal Exchange and IncubEx collaborate to launch first-of-their-kind environmental futures & options
Nodal Exchange and IncubEx announced on June 7th the planned launch of new environmental products including several first-of-their-kind futures contracts in renewable energy credits, renewable natural gas certificates (renewable thermal certificates) and voluntary carbon offsets. The new Nodal Exchange products further expand the world’s largest exchange listed suite of environmental products.
This new set of physically delivered environmental products developed in collaboration with IncubEx will be listed on Nodal Exchange on June 17, 2022, pending regulatory review, and includes:
- Western Regional Energy Generation Information System (WREGIS) Registered Renewable Energy Certificates from Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) Listed Wind Energy Facilities front-half and back-half Futures
- NEPOOL Quad Qualified Renewable Energy Certificate Class 1 Futures
- Renewable Natural Gas Certificate Futures
- Verified Emission Reductions (VERs) – Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) Eligible and Nature-Based Futures & Options
- Certified Emission Reductions (CERs): Commitment Period 2; 2013+; and 2016+ Futures
- Carbon Removal Futures
- Global Emission Reduction (GER)® Futures, developed by Net Zero Markets
Nodal Exchange to expand headquarters in Fairfax County
On June 9th, Governor Glenn Youngkin announced that Nodal Exchange, a Fairfax County-based derivatives exchange providing price, credit, and liquidity risk management solutions to participants in the North American commodities markets, will increase capacity at its headquarters located at 1921 Gallows Road in Tysons. The expansion will create 37 new jobs.
“Nodal Exchange was founded in Fairfax County, which we believe is an ideal location for attracting and retaining an outstanding professional team necessary for operating a derivatives exchange and clearing house, and we are thrilled to be able to continue to grow and further expand here. It is a wonderful location with a highly educated and diverse workforce,” said Paul Cusenza, Chairman and CEO of Nodal Exchange and Nodal Clear. “It is also centrally located for our trading and clearing community and in close proximity to our regulators in Washington, D.C.”
Nodal in the news
Nodal Exchange is a derivatives exchange providing price, credit and liquidity risk management solutions to participants in the North American commodities markets. Nodal Exchange is a leader in innovation, having introduced the world's largest set of electric power locational (nodal) futures contracts. As part of EEX Group, a group of companies serving international commodity markets, Nodal Exchange currently offers over 1,000 contracts on hundreds of unique locations, providing the most effective basis risk management available to market participants. In addition, Nodal Exchange offers natural gas and environmental contracts. All Nodal Exchange contracts are cleared by Nodal Clear which is a CFTC registered derivatives clearing organization. Nodal Exchange is a designated contract market regulated by the CFTC.